Jan 7, 2012

Movies of 2011

With 2011 coming to an end, me and my friend decided to jot down a list of 11 Bollywood movies that we really liked in 2011. As we both are crazy about movies, the idea of writing a post on movies was a hit at its first mention itself. Coming back to the topic, I pulled out the list of bollywood movies in 2011, and found that many movies came out this year. But movies with big names also were not able to make noise were not strong enough to be appreciated by viewers.

I am not a movie critic or person who knows much of the technicalities of film making. But I believe in 2 things that a movie should have. First of all, while watching a movie, one should not look at his/her watch. You need not feel that time is not moving or it is too long. Secondly when you walk out of the cinema hall, one should have a smile of satisfaction that the money was well spent and you carry some good light moments of the movie with you as you leave. And that is how I ended up with the movies I am jotting down. Not ranking them because every movie was good at its own and had a different idea of its own.

ROCKSTAR

Well I will start with the Best that I saw this year and the movie that has gone into my list of my all time favorites.
3 People who are at best of what they do, came together with a team of very professional people and the outcome you saw was ROCKSTAR. Imitiaz Ali, Ranbir Kapoor and A R Rahman really prove that they are the best in the business. Ranbir did hell of a job as an arrogant and crazy Jordan while playing the cute and stupid Janardhan Jhakkar on the same page. Imitiaz Ali was at his best of story telling while Rahman rocked with his tunes. Rockstar was a total winner in 2011.

CHILLAR PARTY

This was a surprise for me and some of my friends also. A story a about a street dog and few kids who come out and stand against the whole society was something new and refreshing. A total entertainer with very good story telling which kept you hooked to your seats for whole movie. Now who expected that from a movie with no big stars to boast and no big production house backing it up. Kids proved that they are the stars and story is the essence of movies, not the big names. Well this one also got added into my list of movies which I can see anytime.





TANU WEDS MANU

Well this movie made me believe that you don’t need stars to carry a movie. Good actors and good story telling is enough. The way director captured the bride hunting for an NRI boy, the weddings, the lifestyle in Patna all was shot and told in a very nice way. Madhavan was simply at his best and did much of his dialogue deliveries through expression. Backed up by songs on background like Yun Hi and Rang rez, it was feel good movie for me.







NO ONE KILLED JESSICA
Many film-makers have tried to capture real life incidents on Reel but that is not everyone’s cup of tea. This movie might be forgotten by most of people, but this one was a Hard hitting movie which captured the Jessica Lal Murder Case and did justice to the whole matter without adding much of Masala to it. Rani did a great job and again proved why she is best in her field. The rude, arrogant and hard hitting reporter role was done in a terrific manner

ZINDAGI NA MILEGI DUBARA
Sometimes, you don’t like the movie at all and you think what the hell you are you doing sitting in theatre watching it but later when you think about it or you see the ending you feel, that was not Bad. That was my same reaction for ZNMD. Slow paced story telling did have a negative effect but again I liked the idea of makers telling us to live life without fearing about tomorrow, because you get to live only Once. The movie did fail at directorial level, but on acting part whole team did a great Job. And Shankar Ehsaan & Loy gave some good music for ears with this movie.

DON 2
I always look forward for Farhan Akhtars Movie and DON 2 was something I was waiting for long. Even though DON 2 didn’t come out to my level expectations, it was at PAR. SRK’s magic worked but the show stealer was the stunts and direction. DON 2 marks entry of Indian Cinema to a better version of action sequence and style of direction.




LADIES V/S RICKY BAHL     
Yash Raj Films knows the taste of masses and they come with talents who can stand up to that expectation. Team of Band Baaja Baaraat came up together once again to bring out a fun film. A different plot, a guy thugs ladies and moves to one place to other was innovative. Ranveer as an actor proved that Band Baaja Baaraat was not a fluke and he is here to stay. The whole team did some good entertainment and this movie is a watchable affair. But one name I should mention is Parineeti Chopra, who was fun to watch. The loud acting really made me ROFL… :P

DELHI BELLY

Modern Indian Cinema is changing and Delhi Belly proves it. Backed up by Mr. Perfectionist, Delhi Belly was a simple story but told in a youthful way (which won’t be liked by most of our elders). It got famous for all the forbidden things starting from Bhaag D K Bose song to the highly abusive dialogues and ending with kissing scene of our Pappu (Imran) who seems to be now grown up ;-). Well it was an entertainer and it will be unfair if I don’t applaud the work of Vir Das and the show stealer Kunaal Roy Kapoor. I still don’t understand, why he doesn’t act in commercial cinema on a regular basis.

READY
Salman Khan movie, that itself says it all. Salman has rarely given a movie which is not an entertainer and is not for masses. Remake of a Telugu Film, the story was senseless but funny and to be true (I know people might disagree and call me crazy :P) but I enjoyed the movie. Asin was good at her comedy but Paresh Rawal & Salman Combo were on fire.


BUDDHAH HOGA TERA BAAP


Puri Jaganath like every fan of Big B wants to dedicate something to him. And what best you can give him than make a movie showing that yeah he is still a superstar. Big B added the charm by giving the Kool (Present version of Cool Style) attitude and awesome acting. Go Meera Song rocked and same way the movie rocked. A Big B fan myself, I loved it. Prakash Raj again proved that he is a terrific actor and even if he is standing up against Big B, he has his own enigma. Awesome one time watch where Amitabh Rocked the screen.

MERE BROTHER KI DULHAN

Yash Raj Production, Funny movie, no special formulae but the movie was an entertainer. I loved the cinematography and the way they captured Delhi. Some of the moments were very good, while some were ok, but you come out of the theatre, you had some funny scenes to discuss. So this comes in the list.


Other than this I would like to mention few names like RA One, Bodyguard, Yamla Pagla Deewana, FALTU, Aarakshan, Desi Boyz who were not at PAR but were not bad also. Some thing or other lacked it to make it something amazing but they all were watchable affair and they had put effort to bring out something good. And that is something one should appreciate.
These are the movies I liked in 2011 and looking forward for some Kickass movies in 2012. Lets see what’s in store… ;-)

As i said, it was me and my friend who came up with the idea of writing a post on the subject... Here is what she wrote... Worth a read... http://deepikagupta1987.blogspot.com/2012/01/my-likes-of-2011-movies.html

2 comments:

Deepika said...

A very well written and well presented... I don't think I'll ever be able to write like this.. :-)

And of course a long awaited post... :-)

SOCH... said...

@deepika
Thank u... for givin the idea nd nice words... Nd don't be modest... u write far better than me... :)